Korean Comedy at School

Friday, December 12, 2008

Just after lunch today, one of my Korean co-teachers told me a "very famous" Korean comedian named Jeong Jong-Cheol was coming to our school this afternoon.

"Why?" I asked.
"To talk to kids about their dreams. Their futures."
"Why?" I repeated, "Is he being paid? Is he a criminal doing community service?" I guessed based on the motivations of American comics performing similarly.
"No. I don't think so. I don't know why," she replied.


It seems as though the comic is kind of like a Carrot Top. Not in that he uses props, but like Carrot Top, everyone (including the students) claims he's terrible. Yet everyone was rushing to meet him when he showed up and were pushing each other out of the way to get seats in the auditorium.

It was mostly students at the show, but the principal was there looking stoic. Also, some of the lunch crew stayed to watch.

As for his actual jokes, I'll let you be the judge. This is a clip I took at his performance today of his riff on Starcraft. That was about all I could u
nderstand.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ow? its interesting. did he graduate that school? i dont know why he could come to that school.
anyway he's really funny and famoous in korean comedian.