PC Load Letter = No Classes

Monday, March 02, 2009

Last Friday was a planning day where all teachers (including yours truly) were required to come to school to prepare for the upcoming semester. Failing to complete my lesson plan that morning, I declined a billiards invitation last night to finish my preparations.

It was a decent lesson for the first week and included two handouts I created with pictures from my winter vacation. Unfortunately, no one at my school has ever been able to hook my Mac (a dazzling, foreign device to Koreans) up to a printer here. So I emailed my handouts to my co-teacher Hee Jin Sunday evening so she could print them when we got to school.

This morning was a bit crazed, as you'd expect for the first day of classes. Poor Hee Jin was running around like a Leprechaun who preparing to report a lost pot of gold. So I was thankful she found time to print my handouts, even though the text and images printed to be about 1/4 the size they were supposed to be.

I'd faced problems like this before and had solved them by blowing up the sheets on the copy machine; a cumbersome project, but it had gotten the job done in the past. But this morning when I reached the copy machine, I couldn't seem to find the correct series of buttons to enlarge a copy. Readers should remember that the copy machine buttons and display are completely in Hangul (Korean) so this does not reflect my technical prowess.

Although she was busy, I asked Hee Jin on one of her hurried walks by if she'd have a minute to help me with the copy machine. She stop quickly, looked at me and the copy machine and said, "I think that because today is the first day for new students you will not have class."

"Oh, okay." I replied.

"Actually," she added, "I think you will have no classes this week."

"All week?" I asked, somewhat taken aback.

"Yes. I will tell the other teachers," she replied.

And that's how I found out ten minutes before I was set to start my first class of the new year that this week will probably be pretty dull.

I've yet to make my copies.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

At least you have time to figure out the copy machine!

But if she is telling the other teachers it doesn't sound as though you weren't supposed to have class. I know you are ordinarily quite charming, but perhaps you somehow annoyed her. :p

How odd.